The American Cancer Society is a good charity to donate to because they spend a lot of their money on research and patient services.
Checkout this video:
The American Cancer Society (ACS) is a nationwide, community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, the ACS has state divisions and more than 3,400 local offices throughout the United States. It employs approximately 2,000 staff members and has a team of close to 30,000 volunteers. The Society’s accomplishments are widely recognized, and it has been ranked as one of the most trusted charities in America for 16 consecutive years.
The ACS provides a wide range of cancer-related services and programs,24 hour hotline that helps cancer patients and their families with information about treatment options and access to care, as well as emotional support. The Society also funds research grants to support innovative cancer studies conducted by leading scientists at institutions across the country. In addition, the ACS advocates for public policies that will reduce the incidence of cancer and improve the quality of life for cancer patients and their families.
So is the American Cancer Society a good charity? There are many ways to answer this question, but one way is to look at how well the ACS uses its resources to achieve its mission. According to Charity Navigator, which rates nonprofits based on financial health and accountability & transparency, the ACS receives 4 out of 4 stars overall and 4 out of 4 stars for both financial health and accountability & transparency. This means that Charity Navigator believes the ACS is a financially healthy organization that responsibly manages its finances and operates with a high degree of transparency.
The Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance (BBB), which evaluates charities based on 20 standards related to governance, effectiveness, finances, and fundraising, gives the ACS an overall rating of “BBB Accredited Charity” with 21 out of 20 standards met (the only standard not met is related to fundraising costs). The BBB has also given the ACS its highest possible rating of “A+” for 17 consecutive years.
So based on these evaluations from two well-respected watchdogs organizations devoted to monitoring nonprofits, it appears that the American Cancer Society is a well-run charity that efficiently uses its resources to further its mission.
What is the American Cancer Society?
The American Cancer Society (ACS) is a nationwide, community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, the ACS has regional and local offices throughout the United States.
The society funds and conducts research, offers information and support services, and promotes healthy living to help prevent cancer. It also provides education about cancer risk reduction and screening for early detection. The ACS works with communities, businesses, and government partners to promote policies that prevent cancer and improve access to quality care.
The organization operates several programs and initiatives, including the Relay For Life event, which raises money for cancer research and patient services; Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk; Do Something! Grants program; Hope Lodge facilities for cancer patients undergoing treatment; Coaches vs. Cancer partnership with the National Collegiate Athletic Association; Road To Recovery program that provides transportation to treatment; Man & Woman of the Year campaign that raises money for research; Great American Smokeout campaign to discourage tobacco use; signature events such as ShopACS retail partnerships; Wig Banks that provide free wigs to cancer patients; Survivorship care plans that help patients after treatment; cancersurvivor.net social networking website for survivors;HopeGrows garden program at Hope Lodge facilities;
What Does the American Cancer Society Do?
The American Cancer Society is the largest private, not-for-profit funder of cancer research in the United States, investing nearly $4 billion since 1946. They support groundbreaking research into all types of cancer and provide free information and services to help people reduce their risk, detect cancers early, and cope with the many effects of cancer.
The American Cancer Society also advocates for public policies that will save lives by helping to prevent cancer and ensuring that people with cancer have access to the best possible care. And they work tirelessly to empower people affected by cancer to take action for themselves and their loved ones.
What Are the American Cancer Society’s Finances?
The American Cancer Society (ACS) is a nationwide, community-based voluntary health organization. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, the ACS has 12 chartered divisions, more than 3,400 local offices, and $889 million in gross receipts. About one-third of its income comes from donations by the public. The rest comes from things like product sales and investments.
ACS’s expenses totaled $865 million in 2017. The organization spent about $590 million (68%) on “program services” that year. These program services include cancer research, education, and patient services. The other $275 million (32%) went to things like management and general expenses, as well as fund raising.
In recent years, ACS has been criticized for how much it spends on overhead costs and how little of its donations go directly to cancer patients. For example, in 2016, the percentage of its donations that went to “fundraising” was 34%. This was more than any other major cancer charity in the United States. And in 2017, only about 67% of ACS’s total expenses went to its charitable programs; the other 33% went to management and overhead costs.
Does the American Cancer Society Spend Too Much on Salaries and Fundraising?
The American Cancer Society (ACS) is a nationwide, community-based voluntary health organization. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, the ACS has more than two million volunteers and staff across the United States. The mission of the ACS is to save lives, celebrate lives, and lead the fight for a world without cancer.
Since its inception in 1913, the ACS has been dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by preventing cancer, saving lives, and diminishing suffering from cancer. The ACS funds lifesaving cancer research, provides education and support for people with cancer and their families, advocates for public health policies that prevent cancer and provide care for people living with cancer.
The ACS has been rated as one of the best charities in America by multiple independent charities ranking organizations. However, some have criticized the ACS for its high salaries and spending on fundraising.
The American Cancer Society is one of the most popular charities in the United States, and it is frequently lauded for its work in the fight against cancer. However, there are some criticisms of the organization that potential donors should be aware of before giving.
While the American Cancer Society does provide some direct financial assistance to cancer patients, the majority of its budget goes towards research, education, and advocacy. Some people believe that more of the organization’s resources should be devoted to direct patient care.
In addition, the American Cancer Society has been criticized for its close relationship with the pharmaceutical industry. Some believe that this relationship may influence the organization’s priorities and recommendations.
Overall, the American Cancer Society is a large and well-respected organization. It has been criticized by some for its priorities and its relationships, but it remains a popular charity with a long history of fighting cancer.